(916) 255-4000
Requirements for Playground Contractors : 

Playground Installers fall under “Classification D-34 Prefabricated Equipment.” A C-61 license, or a Class A, B, or C are required depending on the project.
To qualify to become a licensed contractor an individual must be 18 years of age or older. The contractor or other person who will act as the qualifying individual must have had, within the ten years immediately before the filing of the application at least four full years of experience at a journey level, or as a foreman, supervisor, or contractor in the class for which he or she is applying. Builders must be licensed by the California Contractors State license Board (CSLB) if the total cost (labor and materials) of one or more contracts on the project is $500 or more.
License requirements:
  1. Examination - All qualifying individuals must pass the standard Law and Business examination; in addition, qualifying individuals must pass a second test covering the specific trade or certification area for which they are applying. 
  2. Financial Requirements - All applications for a new contractor’s license, other than those applying for a joint venture license, must have more than $2,500 worth of operating capital. Operating capital is defined as your current assets minus your current liabilities.
  3. Bond – applicants must file a contractor’s bond, or cash deposit with the Registrar in the amount of $7,500 In addition, you must supply a separate Bond of Qualifying Individual or cash deposit in the amount of $7,500 for the Responsible Managing Employee (RME) or the Responsible Managing Officer (RMO). 
  4. Workers’ Compensation - All contractors are required to present proof of workers’ compensation insurance coverage as a condition of licensor, to maintain a license, to activate an inactive license or to renew a license, unless they are exempt from this requirement. Contractors who do not have employees working for them are exempt from the requirement for workers’ compensation insurance, but they will be required to file a certification of this exemption with the Register. Neither the proof of coverage nor the exemption is required for an inactive license.
  5. Applications and fees – are dependent on classification and can be ordered on the CSLB website: