District of Columbia

(202) 442-4311
Requirements for Playground Contractors : 

  1. Basic Business License Application - To make sure you get your BBL as quickly as possible, you must submit a properly completed Basic Business License Application package.
  2. Certificate of Occupancy / Compliance for Zoning Regulations - Before applying for your BBL, you’ll need a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) for the location where your business is conducted to demonstrate that your business does not conflict with building and zoning codes. If you have any questions about Certificates of Occupancy, please call the Building & Land Regulation Administration at (202) 442-9475.
  3. Corporation Division Requirements - If you are a corporation, partnership or limited liability company you must be registered in the District and in good standing. For instructions on how to register, please go to www.dcra.dc.gov and click on “Corporate Registration.”
  4. Clean Hands Certification - You’ll also need to certify that you don’t owe more than $100 to the District of Columbia government as a result of fees, penalties, interest, or taxes through completion of a Clean Hands form provided in your BBL application package.
  5. Office of Tax & Revenue (OTR) Registration - Before applying for your BBL, you’ll also need to register your business with OTR. If you’re not already registered, simply complete and file a Combined Business Tax Registration Application (Form FR500); this can also be done online. For more information, please call the Tax Customer Center at (202) 727-4829.
  6. Police Criminal History Report (Form PD 70) - You must attach a certified copy of your Police Criminal History Report from the jurisdiction in which you reside to the Basic Business License Application. You may obtain this Report (PD-70) from the DC Metropolitan Police Department in person at 300 Indiana Avenue, NW Room 3055, or call the Police Criminal History Report Division at (202) 727-4245 for additional details. A non-resident shall obtain this report from the jurisdiction in which he/she resides.
  7. Surety Bond - You must post a Surety Bond in the amount of $5,000 for the duration of this business activity’s two year license period. The Bond may be issued by an authorized insurance carrier, or you may post a cash bond with the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs.
  8. Public Liability and Property Damage Insurance Certificate Required